What is Ecolabel?
Ecolabel is a logo or statement label that indicates environmental aspects and is one of the tools in environmental management. This label provides information to consumers that the product, throughout its lifecycle, has a relatively smaller negative impact on the environment compared to similar products that do not apply this mark.
In Indonesia, Ecolabel is a form to realize Sustainable Consumption and Production (SCP) with verified recognition in the form of an Ecolabel. Interestingly, this recognition can have a domino effect on changing consumption patterns towards a green lifestyle.
The procedures for implementing the label have been regulated in the Minister of Environment and Forestry Regulation No. 5 of 2019 in Article 15 Paragraph (1). The label itself is divided into 2 (two) types:
Type I (Left) and Type II (Right)
- Type I with the name Ecolabel Indonesia is a comprehensive multi-criteria that considers the life cycle analysis of the product, from raw material stages, production, consumption, to the end of the product life cycle.
- Type II with the name Ecolabel Swadeklarasi Indonesia is a declaration by the producer regarding the verification mark for statements or claims on one or more environmental parameters of a product.
Many companies in Indonesia have adopted the Ecolabel logo on their products or services as a form of support in creating an environmentally friendly Indonesia. Are you one of its loyal users?
5 Steps to Declare Ecolabel Indonesia on Your Products
What if we want to declare the Ecolabel for the products we offer? Here are the steps:
- The applicant determines the environmental claims to be verified.
- The applicant submits a verification request to the Ecolabel Verification Institution.
- The Ecolabel Verification Institution conducts verification.
- The applicant registers with the Ministry of Environment and Forestry, accompanied by verification results and supporting data.
- The Ministry of Environment and Forestry grants permission for the use of the Ecolabel Swadeklarasi Indonesia logo to the applicant.
In the implementation of Ecolabel Verification, a product, together with SUCOFINDO International Certification Services (SICS), will uphold principles to maintain neutrality, competence, responsibility, openness, confidentiality, and the ability to respond to complaints and appeals in the Ecolabel verification process. SICS will maintain professionalism and customer satisfaction from the application form filling, document review, verification implementation to the statement of conformity.
For more information about certification services and the Wholesale and Retail Trade sector, you can read our articles here. If you and your company need more information about our services, feel free to contact and consult with us here.